Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) BETA released yesterday - final release in October
Ubuntu 7.10 released yesterday. Go here to download and help Canonical with beta testing. I am downloading it at home and will load one of my “mutt” PCs tonight and start using it. Instructions on how to insert bugs into the tracking system is at the bottom of this page.
There is also instructions on how to upgrade from 7.04 (Feisty Fawn).
There are known caveats (problems) (listed at the bottom of this page).
Here is a list of some of the new features: (Also listed here)
- GNOME 2.20
- Desktop 3D effects
- Desktop Search
- Fast User Switching
- Firefox plugins in Ubuntu
- Dynamic search configuration
- Graphical configuration tool for X
- Fully automatic printer installation
- Handling of non-free device drivers
- NTFS writing
- Power consumption
- AppArmor security framework
- Additional installation profiles for Ubuntu Server
- Profile-based Authenticaition Configuration
- Improved thin-client support
Here is a good review/post about it.
Please be aware that Ubuntu no longer supports any versions prior to 6.06 (Dapper Drake). Those include 4.10 (Warty Warthog), 5.04 (Hoary Hedgehog), and 5.10 (Breezy Badger).
Side Note: Version 8.04 will be named Hardy Heron and is predicted for release in April 2008. Upgrade instructions will accompany that, so those that believe this is too many versions, upgrading has always been a breeze (usually).